Project 2

https://soundcloud.com/sophia-josephine-164311942/homesick

Homesick is an expression of how it feels to be... well, homesick.
When I was planning it, I was thinking of a very straightforward (as in not manipulated) audio setting. I took clips that I already had taken over the years at home, around my friends, and other ones that were meaningful. Once I started putting them together, it wasn’t enough to communicate the feeling. As a result, I went more abstract and ambient to get the effect I wanted. The feeling of being homesick for me is both the nostalgia tied to memories and the loneliness that seems to settle in your chest.
The only audio clip that extended for the entire soundscape was my “sounds of the night” from my home driveway. This clip is basically what I made my entire project around (even in the planning stage, I had it in mind specifically). Crickets are the most nostalgic sound to me and night is the time when those homesick feelings are most likely to settle in. After crickets, rain was the next sound I knew immediately I wanted to incorporate. Once I had the background all settled, I tried to communicate the feeling in itself with the distorted ambient sounds. I think the project definitely took on a life of its own, and it told me what it wanted to be!

Comments